Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 hours
Serves: Up to 14
This dish should be enough to make 14 baps plus left overs (if you’re lucky!!)
- 2.5kg boneless pork shoulder (skin removed)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 4 tbsp BBQ sauce
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Rub the pork with 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Heat a large non-stick pan until very hot and sear the pork on all sides until golden brown.
- Place the meat on a wire rack in a roasting tin. Mix the paprika, mustard powder, garlic and onion salt, and some black pepper. Rub all over the meat.
- Add 1 cup of water to the roasting tin, cover very tightly with foil and cook for 5 hrs or until almost falling apart.
- Drain the juices from the meat into a measuring jug. Shred the pork using 2 forks, discarding the fat.
- Skim off the fat from the juices. Mix 125ml of the juices with 4 tbsp BBQ sauce and pour over the meat. Keep warm until serving, or reheat.
- To assemble, pile the meat into the halved buns, spoon over the BBQ sauce, top with coleslaw and pickles, and sandwich together.